Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Answering call for gifts that scream 'Chicago'

Quite a number of readers answered my plea for unique Chicago gift ideas for out-of-town friends, or as

I put it: something that shouts, "I live in Chicago, and you don't."

As much as I appreciate all the suggestions, I'm afraid most only prove my larger point, that it's more and more difficult to buy anything special from here that you couldn't just as easily get there, wherever there happens to be.

I suppose I could give my friend a bag of Chicago street salt or a transcript from one of our political corruption trials, as a few readers suggested. It's true that nothing says Chicago quite like the cross-examination of one of our public officials. But if I were looking to provide that sort of holiday reminder of Chicago Christmases past, I could have just palmed him a C-note.

Still, there were worthwhile suggestions that might help some of you with last-minute shopping, even if they don't prove to be of much use to me.

"My vote for a Chicago-centric gift would be any book from Lake Claremont Press (www.lakeclaremont.com.). They have wonderful books on Chicago history. Where else can you get a title like From Lumber Hookers to the Hooligan Fleet: A Treasury of Chicago Maritime History or The Streets and San Man's Guide to Chicago Eats? As its Web site says, "Lake Claremont Press fosters and celebrates what's distinctive about Chicago's history, culture, geography, spirit and lore." I'm biased because Lake Claremont published my book on the history of Midway Airport." -- Christopher Lynch, West Rogers Park

HOT IDEAS WITH FIRE DEPT. THEME

Sure, Christopher has a conflict of interest, but in Chicago we believe that's permissible if the conflict is disclosed. My own bias is that I keep The Streets and San Man's Guide handy in the car at all times for lunchtime opportunities, although author Dennis Foley should consider updating his 2004 original.

"May I suggest you consider purchasing a Chicago Fire Department poster entitled "These Are The Houses That Courage Built." The poster portrays the images of 100 patches designed by and representing various individual Chicago firehouses and CFD specialty units, as well as the CFD Gold Badge Society. The unframed poster sells for $10 plus shipping and handling. Proceeds benefit the Gold Badge Society, which is comprised of duty-death families of the Chicago Fire Department. For more information, please contact cfdgoldbadge@aol.com.

"My next suggestion would be a miniature version of an authentic Chicago Fire Truck offered by Code 3 Collections. This truck is an exact replica of the fire truck housed at the Chicago Fire Academy and is duplicated to every last detail, including the inscription on the cab door which reads "In Memory of firefighter Steven McNamee." It's called the 1/64 Chicago, IL Pierce Rear Mount Ladder and should still be available for purchase at area police and fire specialty stores." -- MaryRose McNamee

Nifty idea. More disclosure: MaryRose is the widow of Steven, who died in a training accident at the Fire Academy. Steven was a brother of Sun-Times editorial page editor Tom McNamee.

"My husband and I moved here from Ohio 11 years ago. This year we are sending a Breakfast Basket from Dinkel's Bakery, here in Chicago since 1922." --Eleanore Plewacki

I forget about Dinkel's and its "old-fashioned European baking tradition." Shame on me. Find them at 3329 N. Lincoln Ave. and www.dinkels.com.

"I can tell you that 1-800-LOU-TO-GO for Lou Malnati's Pizza is great. I have sent a pizza to a friend in Las Vegas, and it is absolutely great . . . for people that do not live in Chicago and cannot get Chicago-style pizza." -- Ron Weiner, Skokie

While experience makes me leery of frozen Chicago-style pizzas, I can't say I've ever tried this particular approach. If it works, it's certainly a true "eat your heart out" gift.

"I have a great deal of pride in our city and its history. Therefore, this year I will be giving all of my friends and family members The Chicago Bar, a locally made, organic soap bar made in the image and red-white-and-blue colors of the Chicago city flag. It comes from a local company called Ethically Engineered (www.ethicallyengineered.com) that bikes its products to its retailers." -- A. Pierce

That's unique all right, but I'd be careful about giving a friend a bar of soap as a gift lest they get the wrong idea, especially if you've got the sniffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment